Wellness, balance, healing…..all popular buzz words that sound enticing and are easy get started with the latest craze, but how do we really achieve amidst the reality of our fast-paced world? Here we’ll bring you insight into how find wellbeing and peace for body, mind, and spirit.
Dry brushing is an ancient practice that has jumped on the wellness scene lately.
It is a simple technique that involves brushing the skin in specific patterns using a brush made of natural fibers to assist in detoxification through the lymphatic system and exfoliate the skin, leaving it smooth and stimulated. Traditionally a self-care ritual, we have incorporated it into our services with our Immune Boost Treatment which combines dry brushing with massage.
HOW IT WORKS
Our skin, the largest organ of the body, plays a huge role in daily detoxification. It receives a third of the blood that is circulated throughout the body and amazingly expels a third of our body’s toxins that we ingest through food, drink, and chemicals we put on our skin. Dry brushing stimulates the lymphatic system, a network of tissues beneath the skin that help rid the body of toxins, waste and other unwanted materials. It’s network, connecting lymph nodes also distributes infection-fighting white blood cells throughout your body. Many claim dry brushing helps with the improvement of cellulite as it moves the toxins trapped in fat cells and flushes them through the lymphatic system.
Our Immune Boost Treatment focuses on the improved immune benefits of dry brushing, but not only does dry brushing eliminate toxins and stimulate the lymphatic system, it immediately improves the look of your skin as well. You go home with a natural bristle brush and Detox body oil to continue the self-care ritual at home. Smooth, baby soft, and improved appearance of cellulite, yes please!
“Not just for detox, I dry brush because it feels so good! It’s hard to give yourself a massage, per se, but personal dry brushing feels (almost!) as good as when someone does it to me.” ~ Phyllis Jordan, Lead Massage Therapist at The Still Point
HOW TO DRY BRUSH AT HOME
1. Dry brush before you bathe or shower.
2. Starting at your feet, use your dry brush to brush against your skin in long vertical motions upward, approximately four to five times per area.
3. Go from bottom to top: that means feet to ankles, ankles to knees, knees to hips, etc.
4. Once you get to your joints and hip areas, use circular clockwise motions.
5. Be gentler around sensitive parts of the body. Dry brushing should be intense but not completely uncomfortable!
6. Once you’re at the arms, start at your hands and use long vertical motions towards your elbows to your shoulders – moving towards the heart.
7. Once you’re finished dry brushing, shower or bathe in hot water to stimulate your sweat glands.
8. End the process by turning the temperature of the water down to tolerably cold. This can help close your pores and kick your immune system up.
9. Follow with an organic oil on wet skin. Our Immune Boost Treatment comes with a Detox oil for you to use at home.
10. When drying off, use a patting motion instead of aggressively tugging or rubbing at the skin. This will get rid of excess water and lock moisture into your skin.
11. Only dry brush once or twice per week, or once every two weeks if you have exceptionally sensitive skin.
What do you think about this fantastic new skin care trend? Tell us how dry brushing has improved your skin or cellulite in the comments!
trends, and specials.